11/26/08

Late autumn comfort food

So it just hit me: I'm really craving some falafel right now. If you've never had it, try it; I've only ever had homemade, and I can't stop eating the stuff.
It's traditionally fried (and usually fried at our house, too), but that crosses the danger threshold a bit more than I like. You know, holding the batter at arm's length and slooowly putting it in the two inches of boiling oil that could set everything on fire... Not really fun.
But I think some baked falafel with Sour Supreme and steamed veggies would make me ridiculously happy now.
The problem with falafel is the grease, basically; otherwise it's healthy, and I hate the fact that it makes my hands greasy. So I did a Google search and found that, apparently, it's quite common to bake it instead. So maybe I'll give that a go.
I'd like to try making falafel as patties, and putting them on a hamburger bun with tomatoes and lettuce. A good summertime lunch, maybe?

4 comments:

Amber said...

Yummmmm....Falafel!!!! Now I'm craving it! I think it would taste good baked, so try it & let us know. Um...er...not that you're the guinea pig in this or anything... : >

Thanx for mentioning you use 'Sour Supreme'. I haven't tried it but have been close to buying it each time I see it at the store.

Sabrina said...

I don't mind being a guinea pig, as long as I get to eat! :D

Sour Supreme is a really good substitute. I recommend it. Give me that and some chips and I'm perfectly happy.

Have you ever tried Better Than Cream Cheese? Not the best sub., but it'll do for a bagel in a pinch.

Amber said...

Yes, it was just ok for me but I would definitely eat it again on bagel too.

Sabrina said...

I'm so glad that there are so many vegan food available. I mean, they try to charge you a ton of money for stuff, but at least I can find things I can eat.